Monday, February 10, 2014

Top 10 Quotes to Inspire Student Nurses


inspiration, coping in school, nursing student, renee thompson, rtconnections

I recently finished a doctoral program. I had been in that program for 5 years!! I truly believe that when you enter into a program, that it’s a journey – not a destination. That you focus on how each class teaches you something you didn’t know before and how each class can change your practice if you look at it that way. But, if I’m being 100% honest, all I could think about during my last semester was finishing!! It sure felt good to be done – journey or no journey!!
If you’re in nursing school, I bet you can relate. You may even have a calendar that you cross off the days until graduation! I don’t know why it is but it seems like the last semester is the toughest. For me, I kept saying that I only survived though the grace of God and an amazing husband. Well, and my evening glass of wine if I got my work done!

One thing that helped me survive the end was that I kept reading inspirational quotes and even recited my own “mantra” every time I thought my head was going to pop off. My mantra was, “Whatever it takes, I’m going to finish this program!” I have a friend of mine who said this to herself every time she didn’t feel like doing the work, “Resistance is futile!”
Nursing school is tough. The following are a few quotes that helped me get through – perhaps they will help you too.

1. "Remember, we're in the people business who just happen to be nurses" ~Renee Thompson

Don’t forget that behind every medication, procedure or assessment is a human.

2. "I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"~Art Williams

Nursing school isn’t easy – but it is sooooo worth it!!!

3. "They may forget your name, but they will never forget how you made them feel."~Maya Angelou

Focus on making a difference in the lives of your patients. Years from now you may forget them, but they might never forget you.

4. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.”~Jim Rohn

Getting on the path to continuous personal development is the key to a successful career.

5. “Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.”~Jesse Jackson

Remember, you’re not the only one caring for patients. Treat nursing assistants, housekeepers, other students, dietary with respect. Human by birth!

6. "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death.”~Earl Wilson

It’s okay to be scared. Don't let that stop you!

7. "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."~F.Scott Fitzgerald

You will make mistakes. I know I did (and keep making them!). Learn from your mistakes but don’t let your mistakes define you.

8. "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"~Franklin D. Roosevelt

You are in for a ride!!! Better to recognize that now and find a way to hang on!

9. "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."~Thomas Edison

Nursing isn’t easy. But those who work at it have the doors of opportunity open wide for them.
10. "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...not through strength, but through persistence."~Buddha
Never give up your dreams of being a nurse.

I’d love to hear from you. What coping mechanisms do you use in school?

Thanks for choosing to become a nurse. I’m cheering for your success!

Renee

To get my top 10 success tips, make sure you sign up for my eNews list by clicking here!



No comments:

Post a Comment